With the start of this New Year, people make resolutions, set goals, or otherwise map out a vision of the year ahead. Many of you, as writers, have “resolved” to finish a particular work, turn out a certain member of pages, or explore new characters and settings.
I am a reader, so following your example, and I am setting reading goals. I read a lot, mostly crime fiction ARC copies for my “job” as a reviewer (poor me, such a tough job), the book selection for my (several) book clubs, or works by authors whom I have read in the past. This year I “resolve” to expand my reading by choosing books that are not necessarily part of my regular reading routine. Fortunately, writers are readers as well, so I hope you will join me in expanding reading for pleasure.
In 2020 I resolve to read:
- A book that is NOT a mystery or crime fiction
- A book set before 1950
- A book recommended by a friend
- A book that has been made into a movie or TV series
- A funny, light-hearted book
- A Hercule Poirot book in honor of his 100th anniversary
- A book I read a long time ago
- A “Y.A.” or children’s book
- A non-fiction book
- A book set in a foreign country I have not visited
- A book set in a state other than the one where I live
- A book with a blue cover
I hope you will join me in my reading adventure in 2020. Audio books absolutely count, and one book can fall into several categories. Feel free to modify the list, and please share your progress.